Legal Counsel - 12 Month Contract
Consultant Robert Kruger
Date posted 14 February 2019 2019-02-142019-03-13 legal Sydney New South Wales AU AUD 400 900 900 DAY Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.com.au
Work for a global investment bank with a leading institutional sales and trading business. The successful applicant will primarily support the Australian business and will also be a regional sales and trading resource assisting with other matters across the region.
About the Company
A global investment bank with a leading institutional sales and trading business, comprising Cash Equities, Equity Derivatives, Prime Brokerage and Electronic Trading. It also operates a Fixed Income business comprising Commodities, Macro Products (rates, FX) and Credit. It is one of the largest ASX equities businesses, with leading prime brokerage and OTC derivatives capability.
About the Role
- Day-to-day coverage of the Australian equities business, a major ASX and ASX24 market and clearing participant trading in equities, futures, options, stock loan, repo, OTC derivatives.
- Day-to-day coverage of the fixed income business, which trades spot FX, OTC derivatives (rates and FX) and commodity derivatives with Australian institutions.
- Advising the business and Compliance on Australian legal issues under the Corporations Act, ASIC and ASX rules and guidance and other legislation, including major shareholder disclosure rules, reporting rules and outsourcing.
- Legal due diligence on new products and services including due diligence on fund jurisdictions and structures including offshore funds and Australian managed investment schemes; to include insolvency analysis, licensing and registration requirements, marketing and distribution regulations.
- ASIC licensing analysis for Morgan Stanley’s Australian entities and for US, EU and Asian entities dealing with Australian clients under class orders and exemptions.
- Reviewing legal opinions in respect of netting and collateral enforceability under a range of product agreements including securities lending, repo, ISDA master agreements and credit support documentation, prime brokerage agreements and clearing agreements.
- Advising Credit, Risk Management and Documentation on issues arising in connection with master agreement negotiations (ISDA, prime brokerage, securities lending, repo, clearing) including additional terms for particular counterparty types, taking security, perfection of collateral.
- Assisting with ISDA negotiations with top tier institutional clients including major Australian superannuation funds.
- Attending calls and meetings with clients to discuss issues of interest to clients including counterparty risk, regulatory developments and facilitate negotiation of client documentation.
- Structuring complex equities, FX and rates transactions for private equity funds in connection with loan facilities, acquisitions and divestments.
- Leading the Australian implementation of regulatory reforms, reporting into the Firm’s global governance structure for regulatory reform.
- 5+ years derivatives, equities and/or global markets experience gained in a global investment bank and/or leading law firm
- An expert technical legal skill set complemented by enhanced analytical and problem solving, project management, negotiation, influencing and people-focused skills
- Proven capacity to execute with focus in a constantly changing, dynamic and challenging global market
- Demonstrated success in building internal and external relationships - able to help win new business and build excellent partnerships with key institutional clients
- Skilled in working with front office and clients to understand requirements, identify opportunities and build world class products capable of supporting massive transaction volumes and notional values
- Commercial and pragmatic - able to see the bigger picture, with proven capacity to assess and manage multiple facets of risk including legal risk, reputational risk, operational risk and conduct risk
To apply please click apply or call Robert Kruger on 02 8289 3230 for a confidential discussion.