Team Leader - Stormwater Design & Delivery
Consultant Simon Hickey
Date posted 5 May 20192019-05-05 2019-06-04 engineering 1 Farrer place Sydney 2000 Robert Walters
Opportunity for an experienced engineering leader in Stormwater Design & Delivery and Floodplain Planning based in Northern Sydney with Government. The Stormwater & Floodplain Engineering team delivers strategic and operational management of stormwater asset and floodplain risk programs across the Council area. The services are delivered using highly developed project and contract management skills, asset and risk management skills, together with the effective use of systems for creating improvement and efficiency's. The team operates in three distinct sub teams: Stormwater Operations and Planning; Stormwater Design & Delivery and Floodplain Planning & Response.
The Stormwater & Floodplain Engineering team delivers strategic and operational management of stormwater asset and floodplain risk programs across the Council area. The services are delivered using highly developed project and contract management skills, asset and risk management skills, together with the effective use of systems for creating improvement and efficiency's. The team operates in three distinct sub teams: Stormwater Operations and Planning; Stormwater Design & Delivery and Floodplain Planning & Response.
- Development and oversight of Capital Expenditure Programs and Budgets for Council’s Stormwater Assets
- The Delivery of stormwater renewal and new infrastructure programs to expected timelines and within budget including management of investigations, engineering survey, geotech, concept design development, detailed design development, life cycle cost analysis, specifications and review processes.
- The prioritisation of works in relation to risk and critically.
- Development of Delivery systems and processes to track, monitor and quality assure the delivery of the Stormwater Capital Program.
- Budget development and tracking; Quarterly Review processes, phasing, forecasting and reporting.
- Development of Capital Procurement Delivery that encompasses innovation and produces efficiency's and in is alignment with Council Policies and Industry best practice.
- Development of Council’s Stormwater Design processes including tracking against industry standards and best practice and updating where required.
Strategic Focus and Advice
• As an integral part of the Stormwater & Floodplain Engineering team, assist the Manager in setting and implementing the corporate direction for the team including vision, values and corporate goals
• Manage the daily operations of the Stormwater Design & Delivery team
• Develop, monitor and manage delivery systems in accordance with industry best practice and adopted Council Project Management Methodologies and Procurement Policies.
Project/ Contract Management
• Develop best practice in the preparation of Contract and Project Management documentation, including contract law considerations; writing of contract clauses; specification writing, and considerations of insurance and risk.
• Monitor progress of project(s) according to project plan's requirements and using appropriate project management tools and methodologies in alignment with Council’s adopted Program Management processes.
• Ensure work practices and / or contract delivery are regularly monitored by routine reporting to establish whether current practice meet or exceed the demands of community stakeholders and ethical standards as well as WH&S requirements
Network and Professional Development
• Build networks, and establish strategic links with internal divisions, external agencies and/or groups relevant to the Natural Environment group
• Maintain a current working knowledge of relevant industry developments, legislation and practice
• Represent the Division and/or Council at relevant seminars, conferences and other occasions as required
• Ensure relevant community and government contacts and networks are fostered to ensure that up to date information is gathered
Educational & Experience Requirements
• Relevant tertiary qualifications and significant relevant experience in a leadership/senior role in engineering, engineering program (capital) delivery or a related field
• Demonstrated understanding of the planning, preparation and delivery of capital works programs
• Demonstrated project management and program management experience, including program design, scoping, managing design development, determining project resources, budgeting processes, report writing, contract development and administration, procurement and project delivery
• Demonstrated ability to assist in business planning including budgeting, cost control, performance management and monitoring and reporting on group outcomes
Capabilities and Knowledge
• Demonstrated leadership, team facilitation and coordination skills including the ability to build a cohesive, responsive team that delivers excellent community focused services and projects.
• High level skills in stormwater design, construction and program delivery at a strategic and operational level including Water Quality Devices.
• Understanding of engineering process including legislation, design development and review including safety in design, industry and Australian standards, risk management, quality assurance and stakeholder engagement.
• Broad policy skills, appreciation of government structures and intergovernmental relationships, flexible and creative problem solver, an ability to achieve outcomes using a wide range of strategies.
• Sound knowledge/skills in modern management practices including financial management, staff management, change management and performance management and development
• Current Class C (minimum) NSW Driver Licence or equivalent
• Local government experience
• 1D and 2D Stormwater and Flood Modelling experience
• CAD systems and process development
To apply please click apply or call Simon Hickey on 02 8289 3192 for a confidential discussion.