Project Environmental Advisors - NSW
Location Sydney CBD
Consultant Begona Menendez
Date posted 12 March 20181 Farrer place Sydney 2000 Robert Walters Australia
Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) has engaged Robert Walters to recruit for Project Environmental Advisors for the Inland Rail project. Inland Rail is a sustainable solution to Australia’s freight challenge and has received significant federal government support to develop and deliver the project.
ARTC plays a critical role in the transport supply chain and in the overall economic development of Australia. With over 8500 kms of track in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland, ARTC is one of Australia's largest rail network owners.
The Inland Rail Programme is a 1710km rail infrastructure project stretching from Brisbane to Melbourne incorporating new and existing rail track. The programme includes the upgrading of existing standard gauge track, the enhancement of existing standard gauge track to cater for double stacking and the construction of new standard gauge links comprising of: viaducts, tunnels, rail track, crossings and bridges. More information relating to the project can be found here: http://inlandrail.artc.com.au.
Project Environmental Advisor – NSW
The Project Environmental Advisor – NSW will be responsible for developing and preparing the environmental approval and construction documents to support legislative requirements of the projects, monitoring contractor performance and compliance as well as ensuring complex project and inter-project risks to environmental compliance are identified and managed. This role will report to the State Environmental Manager - NSW.
- Provide support to the State Environment Manager - NSW to assist with the delivery of effective environmental and sustainability policies, assessment of environmental impacts and compliance systems for NSW.
- Subject matter support and guidance to Inland Rail in all areas relating to legislation requirements particularly around Planning Approvals, Environmental Licensing and Environmental Management during feasibility, detailed design and construction phases of the projects.
- Work closely with project and design teams to identify and mitigate environmental challenges that may occur through the design and construction phases.
- Monitor contractor performance (including investigating environmental complaints) and resolve issues within contractual and communication channels.
- Oversee monitoring, reporting and auditing of the planning and environmental performance of construction packages once construction commences.
- Work closely with other Project Environmental Advisors to ensure consistency across the programme and to apply lessons learnt to foster best practice.
To be successful in this role, you will have extensive experience in managing environmental impact assessments and construction support activities for major infrastructure projects in NSW. You will also require:
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or an environmentally related discipline. Post graduate qualifications in these areas would be highly advantageous
- Experience managing and delivering the environmental scope of work before and during construction including monitoring, audits, compliance, incident management and reporting
- Demonstrated experience in understanding an environmental and sustainability budget
- Proven ability to work with senior management to build support for an environmentally compliant work culture
- Experience in implementing and managing an Environmental Management System Demonstrated experience in resolving challenging stakeholder issues in project delivery
- Flexibility to travel inter-state and regionally, between offices and site locations, as needed to fulfil the role
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant State (NSW) and Federal environmental legislation including project approval process.
If you require flexible working arrangements please speak to us, to discuss your requirements.
As part of the recruitment process, you will be required to consent to a National Criminal History Check.
Appointment is subject to ARTC's medical fitness standards relative to the position. ARTC is a drug and alcohol free working environment.
**Please note that any direct and third party applications will be forwarded to Begona Menendez at Robert Walters for consideration.**
To apply please click apply or call Begona Menendez on 0282893145 for a confidential discussion.