New Labour Hire Licensing laws are being implemented in South Australia and Queensland with other states likely to follow. The new laws support legitimate operators by requiring that labour hire providers are licensed and that users of labour hire use only licensed providers.
Implementation periods apply in South Australia and Queensland during which providers must apply for a licence. In South Australia, providers have until 1 September 2018 to lodge an application, but in Queensland, providers only have 60 days from 16 April 2018 to lodge their application.
Robert Walters is aware of, and fully intends to comply with, the requirements of the Labour Hire Licensing schemes in South Australia and Queensland, as well as those in other States in Australia as they are rolled out.
Key features of the Labour Hire Licensing Schemes
The Act has been designed to promote the integrity of the labour hire industry. Key features include:
- It is an offence for providers to supply labour hire services without a licence.
- It is an offence for clients to acquire labour hire services from an unlicensed provider.
- It is an offence to engage in avoidance activity.
- State operated registers of licensed providers to be established.
- Labour hire licensees to satisfy fit and proper person test to establish that they are capable of providing labour hire services in compliance with all relevant laws.
- The labour hire provider must be financially viable.
- Mandatory reporting on labour hire and associated activities evidencing compliance with relevant laws.
- Establishment of a labour hire licensing compliance units with a field services inspectorate with responsibility for awareness, monitoring and enforcement functions.
How does it impact your organisation?
If your organisation engages labour hire workers, then you must use a licensed provider of labour hire services. Strong penalties apply if you use an unlicensed provider. Providers have until expiry of the implementation periods in each state to lodge their application.
What should I do if I want to engage labour hire workers?
As a partner providing employees and contractors under labour hire, Robert Walters is committed to complying with the labour hire licensing laws in Australia. We will be educating our candidate community on the laws and how we can support them in their position as a contractor with Robert Walters.
For all enquiries please contact:
T: +61 7 3032 2227
About Robert Walters
Robert Walters is one of the world’s leading global recruitment consultancies, specialising in the placement of permanent, contract and temporary positions across all levels of seniority. Our teams of professional consultants are renowned for their professionalism, integrity and exceptional recruitment consultancy services. Using a flexible approach to recruitment, we are committed to matching client needs to candidate aspirations to create mutual benefit for both. Across Australia and New Zealand we have offices in Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Chatswood, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney and Wellington.