Brand management is the analysis and planning on how a brand is perceived in the market. Developing a good relationship with the target market is essential for brand management, as a successful branding strategy will create more than a one off sale to satisfy a customer need.
It is a function of marketing that uses techniques to increase the perceived value of a product or brand over time establishing an association with a need to engage with this product or organisation.
What activities fall under the role of brand manager?
- Manage brand strategy, including the setting of style guides, brand guidelines, brand vision and value proposition.
- Plan and execute all communications and media on all channels, including online and social media.
- Assist with product development, pricing and new product launches and developing new business opportunities.
- Create collateral to establish and maintain product branding.
- Manage the budget for advertising and promotional items.
- Competitor and customer insights analysis from market research.
- Analysis of sales forecasts, relevant financials and reporting on product sales.
What qualifications are needed to become a brand manager?
Brand managers need to be degree qualified with a relevant marketing or communications major, or alternatively have several years demonstrated marketing experience in a relevant marketing environment.
Brand managers oversee all aspects of the consumer brand including brand integrity across company marketing initiatives and communications, as well as relationships with key members of the supply chain.
What key qualities do brand managers typically have?
A successful brand manager will have the following qualities:
- Brand awareness - a clear understanding of brands and the marketing mix
- A strong focus on results
- A high degree of business acumen
- Enthusiastic but calm under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong experience managing agencies, vendors and suppliers
How much can I expect to earn as a brand manager?
As a Brand Manager you can expect to earn between $90 - $140k per annum. To find out more on marketing salaries, download the Robert Walters Salary Survey for further details on what you can expect to earn as a brand manager.
Where can I expect to see career growth?
Brand managers are found in every industry, according to job outlook by the Australian Government, there is expected to be a 5% growth in Brand Manager roles by 2020. The top three states for growth will be New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
Want to climb the career ladder?
Opportunities to progress after Brand Manager include Brand Marketing Manager or Marketing Communications Director.
Looking to make your next career move? See our latest jobs here.
Scored an interview? Follow our complete guide for success.