6 tips for a successful career in Accounting and Finance
Robert Walters is partnering with CPA at their emerging leaders conference in Sydney. The conference provides finance professionals with access to presentations from Australia’s top CFOs. Professionals will also have the opportunity to meet with Robert Walters specialists who will share their experiences, offer advice, motivation and useful information for a successful career in Accounting and Finance.
We speak to our specialist accounting and finance team in Sydney to find out their top tips on how accounting and finance professionals can build their skills and technical ability to progress in their career.
1. Have a good mentor - mentors can provide advice based on first-hand experience to help develop leadership abilities, as well as leveraging off their connections and networks to help advance your career.
2. Have a broad skillset – Keep your work duties varied so you do not get pigeon-holed into one area of finance. Having a broad skill set will add to your marketability and mitigate risk in an ever changing business environment, especially with continual advancements in technology.
3. Be tech savvy – Use technology effectively to improve processes and create efficiencies is vital to add value in your day to day finance role.
4. Be a team player – Develop your skills into senior positions, having experience managing people is vital and becomes more important the more senior you become. It is also essential to be able to demonstrate the ability to business partner with non finance colleagues.
5. Embrace change - Today’s ever changing business environment requires finance professionals to adopt an informed and forward thinking approach to decision making.
By adopting continual learning processes and looking out for latest insights, you will be able to embrace change in a proactive way, Alex Gotch, Commerce Manager at Robert Walters says.
6. Expand your knowledge – Be proactive about your own learning and development. Research the latest developments and qualifications in the accounting and finance sector to ensure that you remain competitive.
About the conference
- Sydney - Friday 26th of May at Rydges World Square
- Brisbane - Wednesday 7th of June at Victoria Park
Note: Guest speakers may vary depending on the city you will be attending the ‘CPA Emerging Leaders’ conference at.
Interested in finding out insights on how to be an agile CFO? Read our article here.
For more information about finance and accounting roles, or for a confidential discussion about your career or hiring needs contact us today.