Robert Walters is partnering with CPA at their emerging leaders conference in Sydney. The conference provides finance professionals with access to presentations from Australia’s top CFOs. Professionals will also have the opportunity to meet with Robert Walters specialists who will share their experiences, offer advice, motivation and useful information for a successful career in Accounting and Finance.
We speak to our specialist accounting and finance team in Sydney to find out their top tips on how accounting and finance professionals can build their skills and technical ability to progress in their career.
1. Have a good mentor - mentors can provide advice based on first-hand experience to help develop leadership abilities, as well as leveraging off their connections and networks to help advance your career.
2. Have a broad skillset – Keep your work duties varied so you do not get pigeon-holed into one area of finance. Having a broad skill set will add to your marketability and mitigate risk in an ever changing business environment, especially with continual advancements in technology.
3. Be tech savvy – Use technology effectively to improve processes and create efficiencies is vital to add value in your day to day finance role.
4. Be a team player – Develop your skills into senior positions, having experience managing people is vital and becomes more important the more senior you become. It is also essential to be able to demonstrate the ability to business partner with non finance colleagues.
5. Embrace change - Today’s ever changing business environment requires finance professionals to adopt an informed and forward thinking approach to decision making.
By adopting continual learning processes and looking out for latest insights, you will be able to embrace change in a proactive way.
6. Expand your knowledge – Be proactive about your own learning and development. Research the latest developments and qualifications in the accounting and finance sector to ensure that you remain competitive.
Six expert tips for your next finance interview
Whether you’ve got years of experience or are just starting out, interviews can be an intimidating prospect. If you’re looking to land your next finance role, our expert tips could help... 1. Get to the point A good CV should be clear, concise, and easy to read. When describing your previous jobs, yRead More
Risk management jobs on the rise
Following recent scandals in the banking and financial services sector in Australia, centred on misconduct, the pressure is on for financial institutions to be more transparent leading to an increased demand for compliance and risk management professionals. Why has risk management become so importanRead More
Where can a career in Internal Audit lead you?
Internal Audit is often a misunderstood profession – it is a career that can give you a solid grounding for developing thought leadership and strategic thinking skills. A common misconception is that Internal Audit is predominantly a finance profession but is more about improving risk management andRead More
Come join our global team of creative thinkers, problem solvers and game changers. We offer accelerated career progression, a dynamic culture and expert training.