How to apply for a Tax File Number?

woman on ipad

Before you start working in Australia there are a number of life admin tasks you will need to complete. To help you easily get on your feet when you finally arrive in the country, make sure you apply for your Tax File Number.

A tax file number (TFN) is a unique number issued by the Tax Office in Australia. For those looking to move to Australia from the UK, the TFN is pretty much the same as a National Insurance number. It is important to get this sorted as soon as you can, as without it, you’ll get taxed at the highest rate on any earnings you make whilst residing in Australia.

Once your TFN has been allocated to you, there is no need to apply for another one if your circumstances change, for example if you relocate back to Australia, decide to move to another state, change jobs, change marital status, acquire investments or become entitled to government benefits. Your TFN is unique to you for the purpose of identifying your tax records. To find out how to apply for one visit the Australian Taxation Office website.

All professionals working in Australia are required to pay tax to fund programs and services such as schools, roads and hospitals. The amount of tax you get charged varies depending on how much your total yearly earnings equal to. You can find out more about tax threshold and requirements by visiting the Australian Taxation Office official website.


Keep on reading if you'd like to see how Robert Walters can help you 

make the move to Australia.

Want to find out more? Read what Cindy has to say about her relocation back to Australia through Robert Walters International Career Management (ICM) program.